One of the main advantages of owning a greenhouse is that you can grow your own fruit. There are many types of fruit that are suitable for greenhouse growing, including melons and strawberries. Growing a selection of fruit can be rewarding and will enable you to be provided with fresh, healthy produce.
In order to successfully grow a selection of fruit in your greenhouse, you will need to make sure that the conditions are suitable for the plants that you choose. In addition to making sure that the temperature and humidity levels are suitable, you will also need to keep pests and plant diseases at bay. Choosing certified plants will reduce the risk of diseases and keeping your greenhouse clean and well ventilated during summer will help to keep pests away.
Here are the advantages of growing fruit in your greenhouse:
· Fresh fruit. Growing fruit in your greenhouse will enable you to be provided with fresh food all year round. If grown organically, home-grown fruit will provide you with many benefits. Organic, home-grown fruit is much healthier than supermarket varieties, as it is free of herbicides and pesticides.
· Free food. Growing your own fruit enables you to cut down on how much you spend at the supermarket. You can produce healthy, home-grown fruit all year round without having to worry about how much you are spending.
· Plenty of variety. Owning a greenhouse enables you to experiment with different types of fruit. Home-grown fruit is perfect for those who love cooking, as it can be used to create a selection of desserts. Some types of fruit, such as apples, can even be added to main dishes to create more flavour.
· Protection. One of the main advantages of owning a greenhouse is that you can provide plants with protection. The shelter provided by a greenhouse enables you to grow a selection of plants all year round, even during winter. Extra heating, lighting or insulation may need to be added during the colder months depending on what type of plant you are growing. It is vital that you provide your plants with whatever they need in order to thrive. Strawberry plants, for example, require at least six hours of sunlight each day.
· Business opportunities. If you produce fresh, home-grown fruit that is of the highest quality, then you could consider turning your gardening hobby into a business. You can sell your produce at local markets or to supermarkets.
· Healthy produce for friends and family. You can share your home-grown fruit with friends and family. Fresh fruit makes a great gift and you can consider creating fruit baskets or home-cooked desserts for special occasions.
By providing your fruit plants with the right amount of care and attention, you can enjoy all the benefits of growing your own fruit. In addition to providing you with free, healthy food, home-grown fruit will also add plenty of colour to your greenhouse, creating a bright and attractive garden all year round.