An historic rose garden is to welcome visitors free of charge after reopening for the first time in years.
Created by Thomas Mawson in 1913, the Grade II-listed Bushey Rose Garden later fell into disrepair after vandalism forced its closure.
According to the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS), the designer created the beautiful attraction for Victorian artist Sir Hubert von Herkomer, who ran an art school at the site, in return for a portrait.
However, it has taken approximately £1.5 million to restore it to its former glory, with a grant of almost £1 million from the Heritage Lottery Fund covering a large proportion of the expense.
Hertsmere Borough Council and a number of other parties also contributed, helping to bring the garden back to its original standard.
Many of the main features have undergone restoration, with work having been carried out on the red sandstone cloisters, rose temple and summer house.
The Bavarian tufa stone fountain at the site has also been brought back to working order after years of disrepair.
Approximately 500 new roses have been planted, while thousands of herbaceous perennials have been added, with the choice of plants as close to Mr Mawson’s favourites as possible.
Meanwhile, the RHS earlier this month published its August growing tips, suggesting that plants in greenhouses and containers might need extra hydration.