Owning a greenhouse enables you to grow your own vegetables. One of the main advantages of growing vegetables in your greenhouse is that you can extend the growing season. A greenhouse provides plenty of shelter, so you can keep your vegetable plants protected in winter.
Growing your own vegetables enables you to be provided with fresh, healthy produce all year round. You can avoid supermarket varieties, which have been grown in fields where herbicides and fungicides are been used and cut down on the amount that you spend.
Here are the main advantages of growing vegetables in your greenhouse:
· Healthy food. Fresh, home-grown organic vegetables are much healthier and tastier than supermarket varieties. You can produce a selection of fresh fruit for you and your family to enjoy all year round.
· Free food. By growing a selection of vegetables in your greenhouse, you can be provided with fresh, healthy produce without having to worry about how much you are spending.
· Controlled climate. Growing vegetables in a greenhouse enables you to provide them with whatever they need in order to thrive. Growing vegetables in the garden can be difficult if the weather is too hot or cold or if there are heavy winds or too much rain. In a greenhouse, you can keep your plants sheltered and easily add extra heating, lighting or insulation as required.
· Plenty of variety. Onions, potatoes, aubergines and carrots are just a few of the many types of vegetables that can be grown in your greenhouse. Fresh, home-grown vegetables such as these can be used to create tasty home-cooked dishes. You can even consider growing lettuces and herbs such as basil or thyme to create healthy salads. Herbs are a particularly great choice for greenhouses, as they are easy to grow and not only add flavour to home-cooked dishes but some also provide medicinal benefits.
· Business opportunities. If you produce high-quality, home-grown vegetables, then you can consider selling them at local markets or to supermarkets. Fresh vegetables also make a great gift for friends or family.
· Colourful. If your greenhouse is lacking colourful plants, then there are many types of vegetables, such as peppers and tomatoes, which will help to brighten it up. Colourful vegetables and fruit will help to provide a bright and attractive greenhouse and garden all year round.
When growing vegetables in your greenhouse, you will need to make sure that you provide them with just the right amount of care and attention. The climatic needs of plants will vary depending on what you decide to grow, so be sure to research any vegetable plants before you grow them if you are unfamiliar with their needs.
You will also need to protect your plants from pests and diseases. You can tackle problems such as these by selecting certified plants and keeping your greenhouse well ventilated during the summer. Always select organic pesticides and fungicides so that your vegetable plants are free of harmful chemicals.